Head of HR – UK & Ireland
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
A senior strategic HR leadership role implementing the global HR strategy in the UK and Ireland in support of MeiraGTx’s strategic objectives and priorities. Leading and managing the HR team to ensure the successful delivery of all HR functional activities and initiatives. Strategically supporting, advising and coaching Senior Leaders and managers in all HR areas to maximize their ability to create a high performing organisation.
- Provides strategic HR direction to Senior Leaders and managers. Provides coaching and mentoring as needed.
- Leads the UK & IRL Human Resource team to deliver a comprehensive HR service to the business
- Provides guidance, mentoring and leadership to HR, ensuring appropriate use of resources in order to provide a comprehensive and effective HR service to the UK business. Responsible for team development across the UK HR team
- Coaches and advises managers and leaders, as necessary, on all areas of HR including employee relations, employee engagement and retention, organisational design and development talent acquisition, performance management, absence management, remuneration and benefits and terminations
- Ensures employment practices and policies are competitive and current in order to retain and attract talent to the organization. Leads and directs the development and implementation of new policies and practices.
- Responsible for reward practices in line with our Global Compensation Framework. Will lead external benchmarking exercises, benefit design and all reward initiative implementations
- Manages senior level talent acquisition and succession planning activities with Senior Leaders
- Manages complex employee relations and HR issues, using HR and company knowledge evidencing appropriate decision-making skills
- Designs and delivers organizational development strategies, processes and interventions that support the company’s ambition to be a high performing organisation; to include initiatives which foster a high-performance culture, where valuing learning, continuous improvement and diversity are the norm.
- Designing and running (delivering) management and leadership development programmes
- Provides guidance on development for leaders, managers and teams as necessary. Designing and/or implementing training and development initiatives; identifying areas that need attention and improvement. Develop coaching, mentoring and secondment schemes to support staff development and the achievement of Personal Development Plans
- Experience is leading and introducing culture programmes
Qualifications & Experience
- BA/BSc in Human Resources or relevant related field.
- Qualification by experience also welcome.
- Chartered Member of Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD)
- Extensive experiences of leading/managing a HR function and operating as an HR Partner at a senior level to senior leaders in an organization
- Extensive HR generalist experience in all areas of HR in a pharma /biotech environment (ideally).
- Previous experience in multi site lead HR position
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to clarify and clearly set a HR People Plan
- Experience in creating a vision for HR
- Proven experience in Performance management and improvement systems
- Ability to manage ambiguity and operate in a flexible environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills (both spoken and written).
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Excellent influencing and interpersonal skills with people at all levels and across various cultures
- Strong coaching/mentoring skills
- Effective planning and project management skills with the ability to set and work to personal, team and organizational deadlines.
- The ability to engage, conduct diagnosis, analyse findings, generate options and build commitment to solutions.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and results-focus.
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Strong analytic skills and strategic thinking
- Pragmatic and solution oriented.
- Committed to high standards and continuous improvement.
- Ability to move between big picture and detail.
- Ability to build rapport quickly with key members of the executive team.
- Ability to represent the Human Resource function as part of the bigger business picture
- A professional and commercial approach to HR, with the ability to deliver high employee satisfaction, appropriate development and reward for individuals.
Key Performance Indicators
- Staff engagement
- Staff Retention
- Succession Planning
- Cost of hire per FTE
- Cost of absence per FTE
Key Job Competencies
- Organisational skills– personal efficiency, time management skills and the ability to prioritise competing demands.
- Communication skills–to lead the HR function, managing diverse personalities and viewpoints. Consequently, emotional intelligence, the ability to build relationships and collaborate with others is vital
- Commercial acumen–involved in strategic decision-making within the business as an influencer. Being able to understand company finances, resourcing and the ultimate aims of the business is important.
- Role modelling– As a senior member of the executive team, HR Director is expected to demonstrate and lead on the values, initiatives and culture of the organisation.
- Professional expertise– A strong working knowledge of employment law compliance, best practice processes for employee relations and payroll is required, as well as experience of employee relations.
- Coaching and mentoring– Working with senior executives, junior colleagues or middle management, you will be proficient in developing skills in our talent.
- Trust– As a member of the executive team, you will interface with the CDO, SVP Global Integration and COO on a regular basis. You will become a trusted confidante on talent issues, confident in giving your opinions and sharing expertise.