Technician, Molecular and Protein Engineering
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, well-rounded individual with experience in molecular biology and biochemistry to be a part of an early pre-clinical stage Molecular and Protein Engineering group to develop better, smarter gene therapies. For this position, under the guidance of senior scientists, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting in the construction of mammalian plasmids harboring engineered transgene cassettes, performing transient expressions of said plasmids in relevant mammalian cell lines, and subsequent testing of the expressed transgenes for improved functions using in vitro biochemical and/or cell-based assays.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Technician is responsible for:
- Restocking of common laboratory consumables.
- Molecular cloning and sub-cloning using standard restriction enzyme-based and seamless DNA fragment based-assembly techniques.
- Propagation and purification plasmids.
- Maintenance of mammalian cell lines.
- Transient expression of transgenes in mammalian cell lines.
- Protein characterization using techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western Blotting, plate reader based biochemical assays, and fluorescence microscopy cellular assays.
- Write up concise research reports/presentations and provide periodic updates to the team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
- BS or equivalent in a life science discipline and 0-2 years of related lab experience.
- General biological lab experience
- PCR and various cloning techniques
- Aseptic techniques for handling bacterial and mammalian cell cultures
- Bacterial transformations
- Plasmid purification from bacterial overnight cultures
- Familiarity with mammalian cell line culturing
- Transient expression of plasmids in mammalian cell lines
- Experience with protein purification a plus
- Familiarity with plate-based colorimetric/fluorescent assays
- Familiarity with fluorescent microscopy a plus
- Familiarity with crystal protein structures a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstration of detailed record keeping and data documentation
- Strong inter-personnel skills
With a positive attitude, be prepared to learn, have fun, and make an impactful contribution as part of an integral member of the team!