Senior Finance Manager
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
Purpose of Job
This position is responsible to develop and manage the UK finance team, excluding AP, in delivering the financial activities including, financial accounting, a strong financial controls environment, financial reporting and analysis, budgeting and strategic planning. The UK finance team currently support 4 operational entities in 4 countries. This role includes a focus on continual improvement, business support and the development of processes both within and throughout the wider MeiraGTx business.
- Manage through the NetSuite accounting software the recording of all financial transactions of the entities in an accurate and consistent manner. This includes the preparation and sign off of accounting transactions and reconciliations in line with policy
- Plan and manage the month end reporting of financial statements including the preparation of the US reporting package as well as the local management reporting
- Plan and manage the preparation of externals filings including the Statutory accounts and indirect taxation lodgments
- Plan and support the business in its preparation of annual budget, periodic forecast reviews
- Develop and enhance reporting tools and financial models to support the business in assessing its financial performance versus plan and in decision making
- Lead a process of continuous improvement within Finance, to enhance the efficiency and focus of the finance team. This will include the development of NetSuite as well as improving other areas such as spreadsheet design
- Develop and support SOX compliance within the finance activities
- Support E and Y in the submission of the tax filings for corporation tax and tax credits
- Develop, document, implement and enforce Finance policies and procedures
- Manage the preparation and review of collaborators invoicing in line with contract terms
- Develop and implement performance metric reporting for Finance and support the wider business as they develop financial related KPI’s
- Manage external audit reviews
- Mentor and develop both direct staff (as applicable) or the wider Finance team
- Any other duties that may reasonably be assigned
Key Performance Indicators
- Ability to manage a team and plan work activities
- Ability to engage and develop business relationships to facilitate meaningful FP and A activities
- Delivery of on time accurate month end Group reporting
- Creating an auditable SOX compliance environment
- Develop business integrated budget and forecasts in line with established timetables
- Prepare monthly management reporting packs reflecting financial performance of the business
- Generate collaboration invoicing
Key Job Competencies
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical competency
- Proven ability to lead a team, providing direction, encouraging personal development, providing education / mentoring and create an environment where employees feel free to contribution their ideas.
- Ability to develop and build out broad organizational goals into tactical deliverables which can be supported by the finance team
- Problem solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals individually and for the team, demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently
- Ability to leverage a strong accounting background to the benefit of the total business, not simply proposing finance focused solutions but thinking big picture, recognizing the wider business impacts
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or positions, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows through on commitments
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity, meets challenges with resourcefulness, generates suggestions for improving work, develops innovative approaches and ideas
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates good presentation skills, participates effectively in meetings
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing styles to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, able to read and interpret written information
- Qualified accountant with a minimum of 5+ years post qualification experience of relevant experience
- Highly proficient with Excel with strong financial modelling experience
- Strong skills in data analysis with experience with database management, administration related software applications
- Experience of Net Suite would be an advantage although not required.