Scientist, Molecular and Protein Engineering
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, well-rounded Ph.D. level individual with in-depth knowledge of structural and computational biology, neuroscience, transcriptional regulation, virology, or AAV-based gene therapy methodologies to be a part of an early discovery biology group to develop better, smarter gene therapies. For this position, the successful candidate will lead a small group of junior scientists to generate and experimentally validate innovative approaches to improving expression and potency of therapeutic gene targets in the MeiraGTx pipeline.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The scientist is responsible for:
- In a collaborative environment, manage a small group of junior scientists with technical skills in molecular cloning, mammalian cell line culturing and transfections, in vitro biochemical/cellular assay development, and AAV vector production.
- Use of structural biology and related computational tools (e.g. Schrodinger/Rosetta) to correlate macromolecular structure to function and design new transgenes with specific biological improvements.
- Use of bioinformatics tools to come up with innovative solutions to improving transgene or transgene cassette properties.
- Macromolecular quantification and characterization using techniques such as SDS-PAGE, western blotting, ELISA, qPCR, flow cytometry, and fluorescence microscopy.
- Development of in vitro biochemical activity and cellular assays to assess engineered transgene function.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. or equivalent in a life science discipline and 0-5 years of post-doctoral work experience.
- Direct experience with the various structural biology methods such as protein crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, or cryo electron microscopy.
- Direct experience with mining and extracting information from genomic databases such as transcriptional data from ENCODE and FANTOM consortiums.
- Extensive experience with DNA cloning, gel electrophoresis, aseptic cell culturing, AAV/LV production and transduction, western blotting, qPCR, flow cytometry, fluorescence microscopy, ELISA, liquid chromatography, and biochemical/cellular assay development.
- Familiarity of in vivo pharmacology is a plus.
- Experience working in a gene therapy company with similar responsibilities is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstration of detailed record keeping and data documentation
- Strong inter-personnel skills
With a positive attitude, be prepared to learn, have fun, and make impactful contributions as part of an integral member of MeiraGTx!