Research Associate (Lab Manager), Molecular and Protein Engineering
New York, NY
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, well-rounded individual with experience in molecular biology and biochemistry to be a part of an early pre-clinical stage Molecular and Protein Engineering group to develop better, smarter gene therapies. For this position, under the guidance of senior scientists, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the general laboratory upkeep of the research group. Additional responsibilities may include assisting in the construction of mammalian plasmids harboring engineered transgene cassettes, performing transient expressions of said plasmids in relevant mammalian cell lines, and subsequent testing of the expressed transgenes for improved functions using in vitro biochemical and/or cell-based assays.
Purpose of this role
This is a Lab Manager position with responsibilities including supply ordering, lab organization, restocking, autoclaving, reagent preparation, reagent quality control, and related tasks. More information is listed below.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Research Associate / Lab Manager is responsible for:
- Ordering and restocking of lab supplies
- Management of purchase orders
- Organizing documentation for safety protocols and related regulations
- Autoclaving glassware and culture media
- Renewal of software licenses and capital equipment maintenance plans
- Hazardous waste management and disposal
- Purification of plasmid DNA from bacteria
- Quality control of lab reagents produced for the research group
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
- S. or equivalent in a life sciences discipline and 0-2 years of related lab experience.
- Lab Assistant or junior Lab Manager experience
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and clear oral and written communication
- Aseptic techniques for handling bacterial and mammalian cell cultures
- Plasmid purification from bacterial cultures
- Transient expression of plasmids in mammalian cell lines
Please send resumes to Benjamin.email@example.com