Project Cost Accountant
DEPARTMENT: CLINICAL OPERATIONS
Purpose of Job
This position is to support the Clinical Operations Group in setting up and maintaining a cost database for all its Clinical project activities. The position will be responsible for collating, monitoring and reporting the costs associated with all project activities and reporting actual and forecast costs against the allocated budget.
- Coordination & recording of all commitments made against clinical projects.
- Ensure the commitments made are in line with the project commitment process and authorisations
- Provide a monthly accrual to finance
- Run expenditure reports & ensure the costs allocated to each project are valid. Ensure non-project costs are reallocated.
- Raise POs as required by the Clinical Team in line with the project commitment process and authorisations. and ensure a copy of all POs issued for each project are stored electronically
- Generating standard monthly cost reports
- Support internal and external requests for additional information on project costs
- Provide real time project costs on request
- Key interface with the Finance Team to ensure job costs are accurate
- Preparation of annual budgets and periodic budget reviews
- Establish & maintain various interface cost reporting tools, e.g. contract cost and reports required by finance e.g. annual budgets and quarterly variances
- Establish & maintain various contract administration reports including progress measurement, cost reporting and change management
Key Performance Indicators
- Successful tracking of clinical project costs and project milestones
- Successful communication and reporting of project costs
Key Job Competencies
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Leadership – exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Cost Consciousness – works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence;
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality Management – looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates good presentation skills; participates effectively in meetings.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- No direct reports
- Responsible for collation of financial data associated with clinical project cost and cost reporting
- Works closely with the Clinical Team and Finance Teams.
It is essential for the incumbent to demonstrate experience and/or knowledge in the following:
- Accountancy qualification
- Experience with database management, administration related software applications
- Experience with NetSuite or similar Finance software
- Highly proficient with Excel
- Experience in data analysis
- Previous experience and a good understanding of project cost control
It is desirable that the incumbent is able to demonstrate experience and/or knowledge in the following:
- Pharmaceutical Industry experience