MSAT Molecular Development Scientist
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
Purpose of Job
The purpose of the job is to provide technical execution of projects falling within the Molecular Group remit – this will include Molecular Biology and Cell Engineering.
- Support the development of the MSAT wet lab facility.
- Assist senior members of the MSAT team
- Identify and test opportunities to simplify our business processes and tools.
- Performing routine cell culture, as well as assisting with Cell Engineering projects.
- Molecular Biology; Western blot, qPCR, molecular cloning etc.
- Planning and execution of experiments.
- Possibility of attending Cell and Gene Therapy conferences, to increase knowledgebase.
- Draft SOPs and Work instructions for use within the MSAT team
Key Performance Indicators
- Completion of experiments within a timely manner, and subsequent preparation of experimental reports
Key Job Competencies
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence;
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Oral Communication – speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates good presentation skills; participates effectively in meetings.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Some understanding of compliance, cGMP considerations and GLP.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement at the individual, department, and organizational levels.
- Some knowledge of biotechnology processes/concepts/techniques and engineering principles.
- Experience of experimental design
- Some cell culture experience would be desirable.
- Molecular biology experience, in particular qPCR, Western blot and molecular cloning, would be a benefit.
- Some experience with statistical tools
- Completion of experiments according to approved study plans, within the allotted timeframe and budget.
- Support the development of the MSAT wet lab facility
- Develop ideas relating to Cell and Vector Engineering.
- Assist in the performance of routine maintenance and cleaning of the Lab
- MS degree in biochemistry or biology or equivalent, and some experience within the biotech industry.
- BS degree in in biochemistry or biology or equivalent and at least 2 years of biotech industry experience in Research and Development