MSAT Analytical Technician
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
Purpose of Job
The purpose of the job is to provide support to the MSAT Analytical Development team, to support lab stocks, analytical platform support and routine testing. The role will include the organisation of Lab areas and execution of routine analytical testing to support the MSAT development groups using a selection of automated and manual analytical platforms.
- Performing analytical test methods for analytical and process development samples, including qPCR, ELISA, cell-based analytics and HPLC.
- Maintain reagent stocks and equipment calibrations to reduce downtime and delays to projects.
- Design, organise and maintain a routine testing schedule to support sample testing for the development groups.
- Analysing the data generated experimentally to provide high quality analytical results to study owners.
- Updating SOPs and Work Instructions for the unit operations being performed to ensure high quality record keeping.
- Performing routine laboratory tasks.
- Identifying and testing opportunities to simplify our business processes and tools.
- Drive innovation and challenge conventional assumptions to ensure MeiraGTx stays on the leading edge of manufacturing science and technology.
- Support development and implementation of analytical platform methods from the Analytical team into the wider MSAT development group.
- Provide support for investigations and troubleshooting as required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and correct completion of experiments according to study protocols and work instructions
- Good organization and high-quality documentation and record keeping for executed experiments.
Key Job Competencies
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently, plans for additional resources, sets goals and objectives, organizes or schedules their tasks, develops realistic action plans.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates good presentation skills, participates effectively in meetings.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, able to read and interpret written information.
- Analytical Mindset – synthesizes complex or diverse information, collects and researches data, uses intuition and experience to compliment data, designs workflows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Change Management – develops workable plans, communicates changes effectively, builds commitment and overcomes resistance, prepares and supports those affected by change, monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals, demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles, measures self against standard of excellence.
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure, treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position, accepts responsibility for own actions, follows through on commitments.
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity, meets challenges with resourcefulness, generates suggestions for improving work, develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Completion of experiments within provided parameters and timelines.
- Support the continued development of the MeiraGTx laboratory facilities.
- Implementation and support of process improvements related to analytical operations.
- Higher level qualification in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Analytical Science or equivalent.
- Organized, proactive and motivated with good time management.
- Interest in laboratory automation for qPCR and ELISA.