MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
Purpose of Job
The purpose of the job is to provide technical execution of development projects and support the preclinical team personnel in vector and assay development/troubleshooting in key areas of the MeiraGTx Gene Therapy business. The main role will be histological processing of samples.
- Sectioning (i.e. cryosectioning mainly) of retinal tissues
- Tissue culture support
- Developing and drafting SOPs/ Work instructions for the unit operations that are being developed
- Identifying and testing opportunities to simplify our laboratory discovery platform
- Technology transfer of process improvements
- The post-holder will be expected to carry out any other duties that are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job
Key Performance Indicators
- Completion of Experiments within provided budget & timelines
Key Job Competencies
- Extensive experience with histological processing and analysis (i.e. processing of samples for cryosection and immunohistochemistry)
- Hands-on experience in tissue culture (culture maintenance)
- Experience with basic molecular biology techniques (e.g. PCR, DNA/RNA preparations, cloning)
- Cost Consciousness – works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence;
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates good presentation skills; participates effectively in meetings.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement at the individual, department, and organizational levels.
- Experience evaluating and implementing new technologies/techniques.
- Completion of Experiments within provided budget & Timelines
- Support the development of the emerging R&D wet lab facility
- Assist in the performance of routine maintenance of the Lab
- MSc degree in biological discipline or equivalent and 2 years of academic/ biotech industry experience in molecular biology work, process development; or
- BSc degree in biological discipline or equivalent and 3 years of academic/ biotech industry experience in molecular biology work, process development;