Facilities Maintenance Engineer
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
Purpose of Job
The role is required due to MeiraGTx having set up its internal Manufacturing Facility for the manufacture of
Advanced Therapies (Gene Therapy viral vectors). The facility is planned to manufacture to make Phase 3 and
commercial supply for its in-house programmes. The facility requires an asset Facilities engineer to assist the
engineering manager with the co-ordination of the day to day asset care requirements and performance
improvements, to the range of utility services and manufacturing equipment across the site.
This is a fast track programme, therefore the role requires the ability to be flexible and covers a very broad remit.
- 5 -7 years minimum working in a highly regulated environment in a mechanical facilities role, planning, execution and supervision of
Facility, Process or Maintenance engineering.
- Min 3 years working in a Biopharma Cleanroom facility.
- Supporting Site Capital Projects from a Mechanical Utility and Facility Installation perspective , Commissioning Perspective.
- Oversee service contractor activities for PPM and reactive maintenance, including managing EHS permitting
requirements in line with site procedures.
- Assist with the continuous development and implementation of the internal and external PPM schedule, and
ensuring adherence to it.
- Ability to develop maintenance procedures, Plan, schedule and execute PPM and reactive maintenance as
- Maintain all current statutory, regulatory and company safety and quality standards.
- Assist with the implementation, maintenance and measurement of a framework for compliance and ongoing
improvement in quality performance and right first time culture within the facilities and engineering
area. This will be in accordance with statutory, regulatory and company standards, procedures and systems
regarding relevant cGMP, Quality Systems and Health and Safety in the workplace.
- Ensure the availability and reliability of building utilities, services and manufacturing equipment for the
operational areas, in order that they can achieve the plans to satisfy customer requirements.
- Develop and manage strong relationships across teams to remove barriers and time lags.
- Assist with the identification and implementation of technology based and working practice solutions
designed to reduce the overall cost per unit measures.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the engineering budget and and critical spares stock list.
- Knowledge of Calibration methodologies and planning is desirable.
Key Performance Indicators
- Improving Key Performance Indicator’s for building utilities services; equipment availability and
performance; safe and quality compliant facility operations.
- Development of an asset care strategy and growing profitability through reducing the cost per unit
- The individual must have a track record in working in a cleanroom environment.
Key Job Competencies
- Comprehensive practical and theoretical background on a wide range of industrial plant and cleanroom
services and utility equipment.
- Proven experience in implementing engineering techniques – typically compressed air, Oxygen, H.V.A.C. and
Utility systems applied to both general industrial and clean room standards.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information
skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even
when dealing with emotional topics.
- Leadership – exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively
influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to
- Cost Consciousness – works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures;
contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles;
measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional
resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with
respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions;
follows through on commitments.
- Quality Management – looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates
suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets
clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates good presentation skills; participates effectively in
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies
writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written
- Qualified to Degree in an engineering discipline or Trades Certificate
- Management of safety requirements of Pharmaceutical Regulations and Health & Safety Executive, as
defined in MeiraGTx procedures.