MSAT Graduate – Data Science (12 Month Fixed Term)
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
Purpose of Job
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company with a focus on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. The organisation has two sites in both New York and Central London. The MeiraGTx MSAT department is being expanded to develop and support an increasing portfolio of gene therapy medicines. The Data Sciences team is responsible for optimising research data workflows and developing data analysis tools thus enabling data driven analysis.
The purpose of the job is to support the Data Sciences team; the position holder will be involved in the database development, ETL scripting, automation of experimental data and LIMS workflows and, multivariate data analysis.
This position will consist of a 12-month internship scheme aimed to provide candidates with the opportunity to develop a data engineering and data science skill set valuable in the field of Gene Therapy. The successful candidate will be tasked with improving the robustness of existing experimental data ETL workflows and optimising an existing upstream process development database. The successful candidate will also be encouraged to explore and understand other facets of the company, to gain a wider understanding of the GCT industry.
Major Competencies / Activities
- Optimise existing ETL python scripts to improve data input into experimental data database
- Develop tools to maintain and ensure data integrity prior to database entry
- Develop SQL templates to extract results from LIMS
- Optimise existing / develop new VBA-enabled Microsoft Excel templates for various groups within the MSAT department
- Develop ETL workflows with VBA/Python to upload experimental data into LIMS
- Develop automated workflows to upload information into LIMS via API
- Software development experience would be desirable
- Multivariate data analysis experience (PCA, PLS) would be desirable
- Rigorous documentation of software development process
Soft skill Competencies
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Motivation – sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – works well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Oral Communication – speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates good presentation skills; participates effectively in meetings.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science / Data Science
- Knowledge of Python, R and VBA
- Knowledge of data analysis tools such as the Python pandas library
- Previous internships/placements in industry
- Software / Database / Bioprocess model development experience
- Experience with high throughput assays on robotic liquid handling platforms
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical software and languages such as JMP and SAS