Bioinformatician, Molecular and Protein Engineering
MeiraGTx is a clinical-stage gene therapy company focused on developing potentially curative treatments for patients living with serious diseases. We currently have six programs in clinical development including three ocular indications, a salivary gland condition, and a Parkinson’s disease program. Our initial focus on diseases of the eye, salivary gland and central nervous system is based on the significant unmet medical need coupled with the high potential gene therapy has to provide meaningful clinical benefit in these areas. With headquarters in New York and London, our global footprint provides us the opportunity to partner with leading institutions around the world, allowing us to deepen our understanding of diseases and their progression.
Our team was built with deep expertise in gene therapy development, allowing us to efficiently advance our programs from preclinical to clinical development. Our core capabilities in viral vector design and optimization and gene therapy manufacturing give us a differentiated approach to developing gene therapies. Additionally, we are developing proprietary technology to potentially enable innovative gene therapy treatments whose expression can be turned on and off with an easily administered small molecule. We believe temporal control of gene therapy products has the potential to transform the gene therapy landscape.
Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, completed in early 2018, was designed to meet global regulatory requirements, including the current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) required by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in the UK and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The 29,000-square foot facility has the flexibility and capacity to produce sufficient product for all our clinical trials and will scale to commercial capacity.
We are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, well-rounded Ph.D. level individual with in-depth knowledge of structural and computational biology, neuroscience, transcriptional regulation, virology, or AAV-based gene therapy methodologies to be a part of an early discovery biology group to develop better, smarter gene therapies. For this position, the successful candidate will lead a small group of junior scientists to generate and experimentally validate innovative approaches to improving expression and potency of therapeutic gene targets in the MeiraGTx pipeline.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The bioinformatician is responsible for:
• Designing, developing, and operating computational pipelines for the analysis of next-generation sequencing data.
• Evaluating the performance of novel technology platforms and assays
• Managing and archiving large data sets from next-generation sequencing experiments
• Working directly with biologists to analyze biomedical data and address scientific problems using bioinformatics and machine learning techniques
• Documenting and benchmarking established data analysis pipelines
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field required with 2+ years relevant experience applying quantitative approaches to solving biological problems
• Demonstrated experience in the design, execution and interpretation of biological experiments generating large scale molecular datasets, especially RNA-seq, ATAC-Seq and other NGS data-types.
• Outstanding programming skills in bio-computational languages such as R and Python.
• Understanding of whole-genome or transcriptome alignment programs such as Bowtie, Trinity, RNA-STAR, Kallisto
• In depth knowledge of relevant public and proprietary databases, methods and tools.
• Ability to effectively interface with biologists to communicate/discuss results, hypotheses, and follow-up experiments
• Experience with implementing and deploying machine learning models is a plus
• Familiarity with cloud computing infrastructures on AWS and working with cloud-based tools is a plus
• Understanding of the biology of gene regulation or neuroscience is a plus
With a positive attitude, be prepared to learn, have fun, and make impactful contributions as part of an integral member of MeiraGTx!